We find that some people have a misconception about Assisted Living. Some families think that if they move into or place a loved one into an Assisted Living home, that their independence, dignity, and freedom of choice are taken away. Others yet think that fun as they know it will cease to exist.
The truth is most Assisted Living homes often find that the opposite occurs. A common scenario that we encounter is a resident had previously been living with a family member. The family member felt they would be able to give the care that their loved one needed and earnestly strives to do so. As time passes however, they soon find that providing the time, attention, activities and care that is needed for their loved one to thrive becomes difficult and leads to further strain on the relationship and their own family.
We find that our residents thrive soon after they come to The Cottages because:
- They get to participate in daily activities that fit their needs and desires
- They enjoy 3 home-cooked meals daily
- They receive their medications on time and as ordered by their doctor
- They have people to interact with that have similar interests and backgrounds
- They are free from the worry of household duties such as cooking and cleaning
- Their family enjoys the peace of mind knowing that their loved one is well cared for and they can enjoy their relationship once again instead of being a caregiver
Knowing when the time is right to move a loved one into Assisted Living can be a difficult decision. To make the transition easier consider:
- Speaking with a licensed administrator
- Visiting the Assisted Living home and having lunch or dinner
- Participating in the activities provided by the Assisted Living home
- Taking advantage of adult daycare or respite
Call 208.475.1805 to learn more about The Cottages Assisted Living, Memory Care, Adult Day Care and Respite services.
We want to hear from you! The Cottages team members have extensive experience in the Assisted Living & Memory Care field. If you have a question that you would like answered, leave a comment and we will answer it in an upcoming blog post.