This month celebrates The Cottages Assisted Living and Memory Care’s 20-year anniversary! We are honored to have been able to serve thousands of seniors over the past twenty years and look forward to serving many more. There have been approximately 3,700 residents that have resided at our various locations namely Emmett, Boise, Meridian, Middleton, Payette, Weiser, McCall, Nampa, and Mountain Home. Each resident and staff member holds a special place in our hearts. Many memories have been made and the lessons we have learned from those who have paved the way for us, are priceless.
The Cottages Assisted Living & Memory Care’s First Resident
The first Cottages opened in Emmett, Idaho in 2001. It was built on the land that was previously owned by Mark Maxfield’s, CEO and Owner, grandparents. As a child he would run around the property, play in the dirt, and chase the chickens.
Mark will never forget the day that the very first resident moved into The Cottages Assisted Living. They received a phone call from an Attorney that was helping a woman find senior living. She did not have family members who could assist her. After speaking with the Attorney and resident, she decided that The Cottages would be the perfect fit!
Since she did not have anyone to help her pack and move, Mark went to her home and helped her gather her things. He remembers holding up various items asking, do you want to take this? How about these? She told Mark that he should go and check out her 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass and drive it over to the Emmett Cottages. As he went into the garage, he saw that all four tires were flat, it had not been driven in years, and there was a large hornet’s nest hanging from the rear-view mirror. They decided to wait on towing the car over.
Since this time, many more individuals have blessed The Cottages homes with their presence. The Cottages team is grateful for the residents, families, community partners, and team members that have helped make The Cottages what it is today. It is wonderful to serve many communities for the past twenty years, and we are looking forward to continuing to serve for many more!
What Should People Look for In an Assisted Living and Memory Care Home?
Choosing the right assisted living and memory care home is vital. Helping a loved one that is struggling with memory loss or they simply have a desire to find a home where they feel comfortable, loved, and can engage in personal interests is crucial. When searching for an assisted living and memory care home, we recommend that you look at:
- Staffing Ratios
- How many staff members are there compared to the number of residents? The higher the staffing ratio, the better. If your loved one needs assistance, are they able to care for them quickly? It is important that the appropriate number of staff are readily available to tend to your loved one’s needs.
- Delicious and Nutritious Meals
- Do they provide home-cooked meals and tailor to special dietary needs? It is essential that the food that is being served not only looks and tastes good but is full of health-promoting nutrients.
- Engaging Activities
- Do they have a dedicated activities director that helps the residents participate in engaging, life-enriching activities? It is one thing to participate in an activity. It is another thing to participate in one that genuinely interests your loved one. Find out if the activities that are offered can be tailored to your loved one’s interests.
- Accessible Administrator
- Is the administrator readily accessible to answer your questions or address needs? It is important that you can discuss needs or concerns quickly and not have to wait several days before gaining a response. Assess whether you can easily communicate with the administrator, and how likely they will be able to address you and your loved one’s needs.
- Residents are Content and Well Groomed
- Are the residents happy and look well cared for? It is crucial that your loved one receives the attention, care, and respect that they deserve. Observing the residents at the facility you are visiting will give you a good idea as to how attentive the staff are and the type of care that is being provided.
- Inviting and Calm Atmosphere
- Does the atmosphere feel right, and does it feel like home? From the moment that you drive up to the assisted living or memory care home, what type of a feeling do you get? Does it feel welcoming, light, and portray an encouraging atmosphere? When you walk up to the door and enter the building, does it give you a positive impression? Are you warmly greeted by the staff? An inviting, calm, and welcoming atmosphere is important when choosing the right memory care home for your loved one.
- Great Survey Outcomes
- Does the facility have good survey outcomes, and have they been awarded local and national quality awards? When deciding which memory came home to select, investigate the facility’s survey outcomes. Look at their survey history and determine whether there have been positive or negative outcomes. Ask if they have been awarded state or national quality awards.
These are just a few questions to ask when searching for the perfect assisted living or memory care home.
Choose the Cottages Assisted Living & Memory Care
The Cottages Senior Living will provide the best environment for your loved one. Their small, home-like atmosphere and high staff-to-resident ratio helps ensure that the residents are well cared for and their needs are addressed. The Cottages Assisted Living and Memory Care homes only have a maximum of 16 residents per home, which enables our staff to give more personalized care. The home-cooked meals not only follow dietary guidelines but are delicious and nutritious. The activities are tailored to the residents’ wants and desires, creating life-enriching moments. The administrator has an open-door policy and is never too busy to meet with family or answer questions. The home and atmosphere feel calm, happy, and look like a home. The Cottages are secure but never feel like an institution or hotel. The Cottages Assisted Living and Memory Care has received numerous national and state quality awards for their well-run homes, exuding superior care.
If you are looking for an exceptional assisted living or memory care home, look no further. Call The Cottages today to schedule a tour or speak with one of our experts! (208) 475-1805.
Schedule a tour!
We welcome the opportunity to speak with you about the care you or your loved ones will receive at one of our Idaho locations.
If you have any questions, would like to tour one of the Idaho assisted living homes, or receive a no pressure consultation with one of our licensed Administrators, please fill out the form below. Please mention which location or locations are of interest to you.