Throughout our lives, we have dreams and wishes or desires to revisit a memory or place that we once encountered. Often, we live our lives unable to fulfill our dreams. Individuals who join an Assisted Living or Memory Care facility may think that their dreams will never come true. However, it doesn’t have to be this way.
Fulfillment of a Dream
A resident of The Cottages named Carol had never married or even went on a date. She was simply too shy and couldn’t bring herself to approach someone of the opposite sex. The Cottages team recognized this and wanted to help Carol so that she could fulfil her dream. They spoke with their CEO, Mark Maxfield, to see if he would take Carol on a date. He happily agreed and showed up to The Cottages of Payette in a suite with a corsage in hand. He got down on one knee and asked her if she would accompany him on a date. With a beautiful smile, Carol accepted the invitation. They were driven to lunch in a limo and the restaurant table was adorned with roses and candles. Carol and The Cottages team were deeply impacted by this memorable day, and grateful that they were able to make her dream come true. This event also touched the heart of Mark, and eventually, The Cottages created a program called, “Never Too Old to Dream”.
The basis of the “Never Too Old to Dream” program, is to find out the wishes and desires of The Cottages residents, then figure out how to make it come true. Some of the wishes are on a much larger scale than others. However, if there is a way to make it happen, then The Cottages team will do what they can to fulfill the wish. Some of the fulfilled dreams have involved flying in a hot air balloon, attending an Elton John concert, ziplining, taking a trip to the golf course and playing a round, being visited by the local college football team, and having lunch together, and taking flight in a WWII plane. It is important that we never stop dreaming. The Cottages is making every effort to bring joy and fulfillment to their residents.
When considering an assisted living or memory care home, it is important to look for a provider that offers programs that will enrich the residents’ lives.
What Should People Look for In an Assisted Living and Memory Care Provider?
Choosing the right assisted living or memory care provider is vital. Helping a loved one find an assisted living or memory care facility where they feel comfortable, loved, and can engage in personal interests will make all the difference. When searching for an assisted living and memory care home, we recommend that you look at:
- Staffing Ratios
- How many staff members are there compared to the number of residents? The higher the staffing ratio, the better. If your loved one needs assistance, are they able to care for them quickly? It is important that the appropriate number of staff are readily available to tend to your loved one’s needs.
- Inviting and fully furnished room
- It is important that your loved one feels comfortable during their stay. An inviting, fully furnished room is essential. Ensure that the room is well kept, has a private bathroom, temperature control, comfortable bed, and linens.
- Delicious and Nutritious Meals
- Do they provide home-cooked meals and tailor to special dietary needs? It is essential that the food that is being served not only looks and tastes good but is full of health-promoting nutrients.
- Engaging Activities
- Do they have a dedicated activities director that helps the residents participate in engaging, life-enriching activities? It is one thing to participate in an activity. It is another thing to participate in one that genuinely interests your loved one. Find out if the activities that are offered can be tailored to your loved one’s interests.
- Accessible Administrator
- Is the administrator readily accessible to answer your questions or address needs? It is important that you can discuss needs or concerns quickly and not have to wait several days before gaining a response. Assess whether you can easily communicate with the administrator, and how likely they will be able to address you and your loved one’s needs.
- Residents are Content and Well Groomed
- Are the residents happy and look well cared for? It is crucial that your loved one receives the attention, care, and respect that they deserve. Observing the residents at the facility you are visiting will give you a good idea as to how attentive the staff are and the type of care that is being provided.
- Inviting and Calm Atmosphere
- Does the atmosphere feel right, and does it feel like home? From the moment that you drive up to the assisted living or memory care home, what type of a feeling do you get? Does it feel welcoming, light, and portray an encouraging atmosphere? When you walk up to the door and enter the building, does it give you a positive impression? Are you warmly greeted by the staff? An inviting, calm, and welcoming atmosphere is important when choosing the right assisted living or memory care home for your loved one.
- Great Survey Outcomes
- Does the facility have good survey outcomes, and have they been awarded local and national quality awards? When deciding which assisted living or memory care home to select, investigate the facility’s survey outcomes. Look at their survey history and determine whether there have been positive or negative outcomes.
- Fulfilling programs
- Does the facility have programs that fulfill their residents’ wishes and desires? Does the facility look into its communities and ‘give back’ to those in need? When choosing an assisted living or memory care home, look at the types of programs that they offer to their residents and the community.
These are just a few questions to ask when searching for the perfect assisted living or memory care home.
Choose The Cottages Assisted Living And Memory Care
The Cottages Senior Living will provide the best environment for your loved one. Their small, home-like atmosphere and high staff-to-resident ratio help ensure that the residents are well cared for and their needs are addressed. The Cottages Assisted Living and Memory Care homes only have a maximum of 16 residents per home, which enables our staff to give more personalized care. The home-cooked meals not only follow dietary guidelines but are delicious and nutritious. The activities are tailored to the residents’ wants and desires, creating life-enriching moments. The administrator has an open-door policy and is never too busy to meet with family or answer questions. The home and atmosphere feel calm, happy, and look like a home. The Cottages are secure but never feel like an institution or hotel. The Cottages Assisted Living and Memory Care have received numerous national and state quality awards for their well-run homes, exuding superior care.
If you are looking for an exceptional assisted living or memory care home, look no further. Call The Cottages today to schedule a tour or speak with one of our experts! (208) 475-1805.
Schedule a tour!
We welcome the opportunity to speak with you about the care you or your loved ones will receive at one of our Idaho locations.
If you have any questions, would like to tour one of the Idaho assisted living homes, or receive a no pressure consultation with one of our licensed Administrators, please fill out the form below. Please mention which location or locations are of interest to you.