November is a month to celebrate. This month we commemorated The Cottages of Emmett’s 20-year anniversary, which was the first location to open. In addition to this, we also honored Doris, who was one of the first team members to join The Cottages. She was the first Administrator and now serves as The Cottages Ambassador. Doris has been working for The Cottages for over 20 years. She will be retiring this month. We were recently able to hold a retirement party for her.
How The Journey Began
Mark Maxfield, the current CEO, and his father, Garold, joined forces and started The Cottages Assisted Living and Memory Care in 2001. They decided to build and open their first assisted living home on the land that Mark’s mother was raised. As The Cottages of Emmett was about to open, Mark knew he had to find an exceptional administrator. He did not have an office at the time, so when he interviewed Doris, they met at the local library. She accepted the position and together they worked diligently to make The Cottages of Emmett a success. They had all the apartments rented out within just a few months.
According to Doris, Mark reminded her of her son. He was like a big teddy bear. He was so kind, gentle, and a supportive boss. She felt right at home and knew that she had been led to The Cottages. She feels blessed because her job is one that she can feel proud of, and it has enabled her to help others. Twenty years later, she is grateful that she made the decision to join The Cottages work family.
At Doris’s retirement party she said, “elderly people are unique, valuable, and interesting. They have so much to share that we can all learn from. I am so proud to celebrate my 20 years with The Cottages. Thank you Mark for being the outstanding person that you are.”
From all The Cottages team members, residents, and their family members, we thank Doris for the incredible service, care, and love that she has provided throughout the years. We will miss her. We appreciate her and wish her the best in her future endeavors.
What Should People Look for In an Assisted Living and Memory Care Provider?
Choosing the right assisted living or memory care provider is vital. Helping a loved one find an assisted living or memory care facility where they feel comfortable, loved, and can engage in personal interests will make all the difference. When searching for an assisted living and memory care home, we recommend that you look at:
- Fulfilling Programs
- Does the facility have programs that fulfill their residents’ wishes and desires? Does the facility ‘give back’ to those in need within the community? When choosing an assisted living or memory care home, look at the types of programs that they offer to their residents and the community.
- Staffing Ratios
- How many staff members are there compared to the number of residents? The higher the staffing ratio, the better. If your loved one needs assistance, are they able get care quickly? It is important that the appropriate number of staff are readily available to tend to your loved one’s needs.
- Inviting and Fully Furnished Room
- It is important that your loved one feels comfortable during their stay. An inviting, fully furnished room is essential. Ensure that the room is well kept, has a private bathroom, temperature control, comfortable bed, and linens.
- Delicious and Nutritious Meals
- Do they provide home-cooked meals and tailor to special dietary needs? It is essential that the food that is being served not only looks and tastes good but is full of health-promoting nutrients.
- Engaging Activities
- Do they have a dedicated activities director that helps the residents participate in engaging, life-enriching activities? It is one thing to participate in an activity. It is another thing to participate in one that genuinely interests your loved one. Find out if the activities that are offered can be tailored to your loved one’s interests.
- Accessible Administrator
- Is the administrator readily accessible to answer your questions or address needs? It is important that you can discuss needs or concerns quickly and not have to wait several days before gaining a response. Assess whether you can easily communicate with the administrator, and how likely they will be able to address you and your loved one’s needs.
- Residents are Content and Well Groomed
- Are the residents happy and look well cared for? It is crucial that your loved one receives the attention, care, and respect that they deserve. Observing the residents at the facility you are visiting will give you a good idea as to how attentive the staff are and the type of care that is being provided.
- Inviting and Calm Atmosphere
- Does the atmosphere feel right, and does it feel like home? From the moment that you drive up to the assisted living or memory care home, what type of a feeling do you get? Does it feel welcoming, light, and portray an encouraging atmosphere? When you walk up to the door and enter the building, does it give you a positive impression? Are you warmly greeted by the staff? An inviting, calm, and welcoming atmosphere is important when choosing the right assisted living or memory care home for your loved one.
- Great Survey Outcomes
- Does the facility have good survey outcomes, and have they been awarded local and national quality awards? When deciding which assisted living or memory care home to select, investigate the facility’s survey outcomes. Look at their survey history and determine whether there have been positive or negative outcomes.
These are just a few questions to ask when searching for the perfect assisted living or memory care home.
Choose The Cottages Assisted Living And Memory Care
The Cottages Senior Living provides the best environment for their residents. Their small home-like atmosphere and high staff-to-resident ratio helps ensure that the residents are well cared for and their needs are addressed. The Cottages Assisted Living and Memory Care homes only have a maximum of 16 residents per home, which enables their staff to give more personalized care. The home-cooked meals not only follow dietary guidelines but are delicious and nutritious. The activities are tailored to the residents’ wants and desires, creating life-enriching moments. The administrator has an open-door policy and is never too busy to meet with family or answer questions. The home and atmosphere feel calm, happy, and look like a home. The Cottages are secure but never feel like an institution or hotel. The Cottages Assisted Living and Memory Care has received numerous national and state quality awards for their well-run homes, exuding superior care.
If you or someone you know are looking for an exceptional assisted living or memory care home, look no further. Call The Cottages today to schedule a tour or speak with one of our experts! (208) 475-1805.
Speak with one of our experts about our career opportunities!
We welcome the opportunity to speak with you about career opportunities at The Cottages Assisted Living and Memory Care. Please mention which location or locations are of interest to you and we will be in touch shortly!